Your chance to weigh in on state plan for new federal education law
Comment on Wisconsin’s draft plan to implement federal education law at a listening session in June.
The six sessions on the state’s Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) plan will be held
- June 12, 8 to 10 a.m. — CESA 1, N25 W23131 Paul Road, Suite 100, Pewaukee.
- June 15, 9 to 11 a.m. — CESA 9, 304 Kaphaem Road, Tomahawk.
- June 16, 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. — CESA 6 Conference Center, 2300 State Road 44, Oshkosh.
- June 19, 1 to 3 p.m. — CESA 4, 923 East Garland Street, West Salem.
- June 19, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. — Milwaukee Public Schools Central Services, 5225 West Vliet Street, Room 206-208, Milwaukee.
- June 27, 1 to 3 p.m. — Lussier Community Education Center, 55 South Gammon Road, Community Room, Madison.
Registration for the June listening sessions is not required, but is highly recommended.
The listening sessions are one way to get teacher voice into decisions about the future of education. It’s also critical to get involved in your local school district to shape policy – the new law requires educators to be at the table. Check out WEAC’s easy-to-follow tips for engaging in your district!
Details: The listening sessions are conducted by the Department of Public Instruction and will feature short presentations with information about Wisconsin’s ESSA plan followed by guided discussions around four key areas: school accountability, educator development, school improvement, and student supports. Participants will be able to ask questions and submit formal comments at the event or through an online form. The comment period ends June 30.
More Information: Click here to read about Wisconsin’s Consolidated State Plan for ESSA and submit your comments with the online feedback form.
Next Steps: Following review with the Senate and Assembly education committees in July, the revised draft plan will be sent to the governor in August. The final Wisconsin Consolidated State Plan for ESSA is to be submitted to the U.S. Department of Education by September 18.